The contender list to buy new Indian Premier League teams has become more fancier & glamorous. According to a report by the Outlook, star couple Deepika Padukone & Ranveer Singh is also in the fray to buy a IPL team. The duo considered as the hottest couple in Bollywood is backed by a big business family in India.
We independently could not verify the development. As reported earlier by the website, the deadline to pick the tenders for new IPL teams ended on Wednesday with some more interesting names joining the fray to buy the new IPL teams. According to available information, former formula 1 owners CVC Partners, Manchester United Owners Glazer family, Jindal Steel are also in the race to buy the teams in auctions scheduled for October 25th.
IPL Bollywood connect is not something new. Kolkata Knight Riders is co-owned by Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan and Juhi Chawla while Preity Zinta has significant stakes in Punjab Kings.
Connect with sports for both Deepika, Ranveer is not new. Deepika’s father Prakash Padukone is a former All England badminton champion & husband Ranveer has been involved with English Premier League and is currently the brand ambassador of the world’s most popular basketball league, the NBA.
Who are the contenders for the new IPL teams? According to the information available with InsideSport almost 17-18 aspirants have bought the tender documents priced at Rs.10 Lacs. As reported eariler, not all those have bought the tenders will be seen at auctions in Dubai. The long list of high-profile aspirants includes –
- Sanjeev Goenka – Promoters of RPSG
- Glazer Family – Manchester United Owners
- Adani Group promoters
- Naveen Jindal – Jindal Power & Steel
- Torrent Pharma
- Ronnie Screwvala
- Aurobindo Pharma
- Kotak Group
- CVC Partners
- Singapore Based PE Firm
- Hindustan Times Media
- Broadcast & sports consulting agencies ITW,
- Group M
- Deepika-Ranveer backed by leading corporate
Biggest Investor in Sports CVC Ventures in fray?
It is worth noting that CVC came in news as they made almost $3 Billion investment in La Liga and bought 10.95% in the Spanish league. CVC has other investments in Premiership Rugby, Six Nations Rugby & Volleyball World.
Another interesting name is The Glazer family, more famously known as the owners of the world’s most popular football club, Manchester United, who also have picked the tender documents.
It is worth noting that the initial deadline to pick the tender was 5th October, which was first extended to 10th October & then to 20th October.
IPL New Teams Tender way forward?
The interested parties will now submit their eligibility documents & financial bid as per the tender guidelines. The source informed InsideSport that only few of these parties will actually participate in the tender but the interest seems to be very high despite the steep base price of Rs. 2,000 Crore.
“The interest for the new teams is better than expected. We are surprised by the response. We expect the bid to go above Rs 3500 Cr range for each team,” said one of the top BCCI officials earlier this month.
- Potential bidders can’t form a consortium of more than 3 partners
- One of the consortium partner should have Rs 2,500 crore net worth & a minimum annual turnover of Rs 3,000 crore.
- Base price to participate in the tender Rs. 2000 Cr
- Potential bidders who qualify in the technical bid will be allowed to participate in the financial bidding.
- One party can bid for two cities with Ahmedabad, Lucknow, Indore, Cuttack, Guwahati and Dharamsala shortlisted for the two new teams.
- Furthermore, the teams will be liable to pay 10% every year for 10 years and 20% after 10 years. In exchange, BCCI will be sharing 50% of revenue from the central pool after every season.