Former Australian cricketer Nathan Hauritz has chosen swashbuckling India opener, Rohit Sharma, as a key player for India’s chances in T20 World Cup. He feels that Rohit is a very dangerous player who can absorb pressure and tackle pressure situations as India chases only the second T20 WC trophy.
“Rohit (Sharma) is definitely going to be a key guy for Virat. He will be the key for Virat. He is very dangerous. Of course, Virat as well. He (Rohit) can execute plans under pressure. He has the ability to absorb pressure and tackle the pressure situations,” Hauritz told The Times of India.
Why Rohit Sharma is key for India? Key Points
- Rohit Sharma is the 3rd highest run-getter in T20Is. He has amassed 2864 runs in the shortest format.
- Rohit has slammed 22 fifties and as many as 4 centuries in T20Is. His batting average is 32.54 and his career strike rate stands at 138+.
- Overall, he has amassed 9446 runs in 356 T20Is with the help of 6 tons and 65 fifties. He is also the first Indian batsman to smash 400 sixes.
- The 33-year-old has played all the editions of the T20 World Cup since India win in 2007.
- But Rohit needs to step up as he failed to strike a single fifty in IPL 2021 Phase 2. He is a big match player and could change the game in a few overs.
- Rohit Sharma is India’s second-highest run-scorer in T20 World Cup with 673 runs in 25 innings. He averages 39.58 in the showpiece event. Virat Kohli leads the chart with 777 runs.
- He had smashed 4 centuries during the 2019 World Cup. He will look to continue his dominant run.
India will open their ICC T20 World Cup campaign against arch-rivals Pakistan on October 24 at Dubai International Stadium. The Men in Blue last won their trophy in the inaugural 2007 season under the leadership of legendary MS Dhoni. The talisman has been chosen as the mentor for the upcoming event in the UAE.