In a setback to RCB in their opening match of IPL 2021 Phase 2, big guns in form of Virat Kohli, AB de Villiers & Glenn Maxwell departed cheaply. While RCB captain Kohli departed lbw for just 5 runs to Prasidh Krishna, de Villiers got out off the very first delivery he faced against Andre Russell. Meanwhile, Maxwell tried to play out of skins but he faced trouble while facing spinners. He was bowled out to Varun Chakaravarthy.
RCB were reduced to 63/5 as Kohli, Maxwell and de Villiers fell like a pack of cards against KKR.
AB de Villiers 10th duck in #IPL (8 for #RCB & 2 for Delhi)
6 times – golden duck
2 times – 2nd ball duck
one each – third ball and seven ball ducks#RCBvsKKR #RCBvKKR #KKRvsRCB #KKRvRCB #IPL2O21 #IPLinUAE
— Mohandas Menon (@mohanstatsman) September 20, 2021
RCB batting heavily reliant on Virat Kohli, AB de Villiers & Glenn Maxwell
- Royal Challengers batting are heavily reliant on the performance of these 3 batsmen. Despite in-form Devdutt Padikkal, no one is available in the batting department to contribute to the total.
- The trio had previously failed to deliver during their previous match against MS Dhoni’s CSK, RCB lost that match by 69 runs.
- One of these players needs to play till the last over if RCB wants to win their maiden IPL title, end their 13-years drought.
- RCB still needs to win 3 matches out of the last 6 to make it to the playoffs.
- The absence of international cricket played a brunt for Maxwell and de Villiers. While the latter is retired from international cricket, Maxwell had missed the last few matches for Australia.
- In the previous match, Suresh Raina, MS Dhoni, Ambati Rayudu and Faf du Plessis failed badly.