Indian team selections for the T20 World Cup are once again under scanner. The uncomfortable questions are being raised by Kolkata Knight Riders Harbhajan Singh & Delhi Capitals promoter Parth Jindal. Both have literally pointed fingers at some of the flop heroes of Mumbai Indians squad who have been preferred by the selectors vis a vis players who are performing big time in IPL this year.
Hardik Pandya, Ishan Kishan, Rahul Chahar’s place in the squad is being questioned by both Bhajji and Jindal vis a vis the likes of Yuzvendra Chahal & Shreyas Iyer.
1. Why & How a world class spinner like Yuzvendra Chahal gets a snub?
Yuzvendra Chahal was left out of India’s T20 World Cup squad in favour of Rahul Chahar and Varun Chakravarthy. The RCB spinner however has taken the snub in his stride and is doing his bit with the ball, putting in a stellar performance against Mumbai Indians. With figures of 3/11 in his four overs, Chahal put in a solid show, prompting many former cricketers and Delhi Capitals promoter to lavish praise and question his removal from the team.
Harbhajan Singh and Parth Jindal went as far as naming him India’s best spinner in T20 cricket as he continues to shine in Phase 2.
— Parth Jindal (@ParthJindal11) September 26, 2021
— Harbhajan Turbanator (@harbhajan_singh) September 26, 2021
2. Ishan Kishan’s inclusion over Shreyas Iyer? Is it correct?
Ishan Kishan has struggled for runs big time in last 4-5 months. His performance in IPL 2021 is nothing less than pathetic. Sample this –
- In 8 Innings for MI – Ishan Kishan has just scored 107 Runs
- His average is 13.37 and his highest score is 28
- Most worrying factor is his strike rate. He was picked ahead of Shreyas Iyer for his explosive batting – but he has managed his runs at a strike rate of just 86.99
At the same time, Shreyas Iyer has proved himself to be fit and raring to go but eventually had to manage a spot among the reverse. Coming back from a shoulder injury, Iyer has hit back to back 40s to roar back up in contention & remind selectors that apparently they have made a mistake.
3. Hardik Pandya – The most curious case?
Hardik Pandy has had a forgettable 2021, with the Mumbai Indians all-rounder struggling for fitness and runs. In last 12 months, he has sat out most of the times for whichever team he has played for.
Pandya’s struggle for fitness and form continues –
- Pandya missed the initial two games of the IPL 2021 Phase 2 due to lack of his fitness and reported niggle.
- Against RCB on Sunday – Hardik once again stayed away from bowling.
- While batting he scored just 3 runs of 6 balls
- Overall in the IPL 2021 Season – he is nothing less than a disaster
- Batting – 8 Matches / 55 Runs / 7.85 Average
Once you have in-form players like Deepak Chahar, Shardul Thakur in line-up – everyone understandably is asking a right question – Is it correct for the selectors to show faith in unfit Hardik Pandya?