Swashbuckling opening batsman David Warner was axed from the SRH playing XI on Monday. He was left out of the fixture against Rajasthan Royals to make way for Jason Roy. The development came after back-to-back failures in the second phase of IPL 2021. He managed to score just 0 and 2 in the first two matches in UAE. As a result, SRH decided to opt for debutant Jason Roy who pounced on the opportunity.
Meanwhile, the situation remained grim as Warner stayed back at the hotel.
SRH Head coach Trevor Bayliss shed light on Warner’s absence from the ground. He said SRH can’t make the finals so the decision to leave Warner at hotel was taken to allow young players to experience not just the matches but time at the ground and around the setup.
“We’ve got a lot of young players here. For this match, we decided to make a few changes in the team but to give some of the young players a chance who haven’t been a part of 18. Give them an opportunity to experience the game to the players who stayed at the hotel and didn’t even get a chance to come to the ground. We want to give these young guys as many as experience as we can. For this game, David Warner, Kedar Jadhav and Nadeem stayed at the hotel,” Bayliss told reporters.
The SRH coach said it might continue for few more games. He also didn’t confirm clearly whether Warner is part of SRH’s plan for the next IPL season.
“That (Warner’s future at SRH) certainly hasn’t been discussed. This is the last year before a major final. Those decisions will be made further down the line. He’s been a great contributor to Sunrisers Hyderabad for a number of years now and he’s been very well respected and with the number of runs he’s scored, he has a lot more runs left in him in the IPL,” he added.
David Warner unlikely to play for SRH rest of the season, says Trevor Bayliss
- David Warner scored 0 (DC) & 2 (PBKS) in the first two matches of Phase 2.
- The opener’s strike rate in IPL 2021 was a big headache for the Orange army. He scored 195 runs in 8 matches at a strike rate of 107.
- The left-hander managed to score just a couple of fifties this season. He was one of the main reasons behind SRH’s forgetful run in IPL 2021.
- However, Warner remains the highest run-scorer for SRH and he guided them to their only IPL title in 2016.
- This is the second instance that Warner is axed from playing XI after getting sacked from captaincy. The latest development raises questions over his participation for SRH in IPL next season.
- SRH’s newly-appointed captain Kane Williamson and Manish Pandey were equally responsible for a number of losses.
- Sunrisers Hyderabad are languishing at the bottom of the IPL 2021 Points Table. Monday’s victory was only their second win in the tournament.
Here’s how social media users reacted:
“With him dropped for today, reckon that’s that. Doubt we’ll ever see David Warner in a Sunrisers Hyderabad jersey again,” a user tweeted.
With him dropped for today, reckon that's that. Doubt we'll ever see David Warner in a Sunrisers Hyderabad jersey again.
Warner for SRH:
— Sreshth Shah (@sreshthx) September 27, 2021
Another user wrote, “Betrayal, Injustice done by SRH to Warner. They forgot what he done for them in the past.”
Betrayal, Injustice done by SRH to Warner 😠😠
They forgot what he done for them in the past pic.twitter.com/AmtoInpUV9
— Kathiravan (@Kathir184507) September 27, 2021
That's that for Warner and #SRH
Pity it ends with the worst season for both. Expecting a fired up Warner next season to make a statement with his new franchise.
— Saurabh Malhotra (@MalhotraSaurabh) September 27, 2021
David Warner in tough times..
The management The management
He needed He got pic.twitter.com/AvABPFdL76
— SilentlyFluent (@SilentlyFluent) September 27, 2021