Pakistan captain Babar Azam on Thursday rose to the occasion in the semifinals against Australia at Dubai International Stadium on Thursday. He became the fastest to 2500+ runs in the shortest format. He achieved the landmark in his 62nd innings while Kohli had achieved the feat in his 68th innings. Aaron Finch is the 3rd fastest with 78 innings to reach 2500 runs in T20I cricket.
- Meanwhile, Babar Azam has also become the highest run-scorer in his maiden T20 World Cup.
- Pakistan skipper is at the top of the tally with 269+ runs, followed by Australia’s Matthew Hayden and England’s Joe Root with 265 and 249 runs, respectively.
- Azam has also become the fastest captain to complete 1000 runs (26 inns), eclipsing the previous record held by Virat Kohli (30 inns)
- He went past 300 runs in the T20 World Cup at an average of 60+ which comprised 4 fifties. He can also go past Kohli for most runs in T20 WC.
- Babar Azam recently became the World No.1 T20I batsman.
- He went on to score crucial 39 runs off 34 balls as he added 70 runs for the opening wicket with Mohd Rizwan.
- The duo also brought up Pakistan’s highest score in the powerplay this T20 WC with unbeaten 47 runs.
|Babar Azam (PAK)||6*||6||1||303||70||60.60||240||126.25||0||4||0||28||5|
Highest Power Play score of the tournament for Pak
43/0 v Ind
30/1 v NZ
38/1 v Afg
29/0 v Nam
35/0 v Sco
47/0 v Aus
Babar Azam can go past Kohli for another record
Most runs in a T20 World Cup
319 Virat Kohli (2014)
317 T Dilshan (2009)
303 Babar Azam (2021) *
302 M Jayawardene (2010)