India skipper Virat Kohli in his last T20Is match in charge has hinted at Rohit Sharma’s promotion as Team India captain for the shortest format. At the toss, he said that Indian cricket is in good hands with Rohit at the forefront.
“Now I think it’s time for the next lot to take this team forward. Obviously, Rohit(vice-captain) is here and he’s overlooking things for a while now,” Kohli said at the toss.
“It’s been an honour for me, I was given the opportunity and I tried to do my best. But it’s also time to create some space and move forward. I’ve been immensely proud of how the team has played,” he added.
- Kohli will continue to entertain with the bat as Rohit Sharma is all set to take the leadership role.
- Rohit Sharma is the most successful captain in IPL. He has guided Mumbai Indians to 5 titles which are even more than MS Dhoni (4).
- He has also led India in 19 T20Is and won 15 matches at a staggering win percentage of 78 per cent.
- Earlier new Team India coach Rahul Dravid had expressed he is ready to work with Rohit Sharma and KL Rahul as his deputy.
- Fans will have to wait for Rohit Sharma to be unveiled as India t20I captain as KL Rahul is likely to lead a young team India against New Zealand in the upcoming T20I series.
It is worth noting that Kohli had only resigned from the T20 captaincy and is still India’s ODI captain. But the performance of Indian team in the ongoing T20 World Cup has made the BCCI & selectors worried.
The 50 Over World Cup is scheduled to take place in India in 2023 & next T20 World Cup in Australia in 2022. The BCCI feels to have a different set of captains for both doesn’t make any sense & is in favour of the same captain for both ODI & T20 formats.