As India is eyeing a foreign coach for Virat Kohli & Co, Australia’s Tom Moody has desired to replace Ravi Shastri as India head coach. As per a report by Fox Sports, Moody wants to takeover after Shastri’s term will come to an end after T20 World Cup.
- Tom Moody had last coached Sunrisers in his cricketing career. He along with David Warner had guided Sunrisers Hyderabad to their maiden IPL title in 2016.
- In his career, the Australian has coached Sri Lanka and led a number of domestic sides including Western Australia.
- He has also guided Sri Lanka to the final of the 2007 50-over World Cup.
- He skipped IPL last year and returned to SRH as their director to cricket in IPL 2021.
- Moody was shortlisted for the job in 2017 and 2019 but eventually fell short of the top job. Will he be considered this time? Follow us at insidesport.in to find out
With Ravi Shastri’s tenure as India coach ending with the upcoming T20 World Cup in UAE and Oman, talks have started in the BCCI corridor on the road ahead. BCCI is now in search of a foreign coach as the idea of bringing Anil Kumble back didn’t impress most of the board members, sources said.
According to highly informed sources, neither most of the BCCI members nor Kumble himself is too keen on the role.
“Well, neither Kumble wants to return, nor the BCCI officials, other than president Sourav Ganguly, are too interested in him. The Board is looking for a foreign coach now. Kumble knows that he will have to face the same old team members (Virat Kohli and others in the team), nothing new, then why would he return? And moreover Dada (Ganguly) has recommended his name but other officials expressed their disagreement on it,” a highly-placed source in the board told IANS last week.
“VVS Laxman also will not be able to get the post. However, there’s still a month left, so let’s see what comes or some change of minds! Also look at Kumble’s record as coach, it is not that impressive. See what is happening with Kings Punjab in IPL,” he added.